History and Tradition

Just 7 km from the haven of St. Helena Bay, the discoverer Vasco Da Gama first set foot on African soil in 1498 before continuing his journey to India. Proof of his visit can be seen at the Vasco Da Gama monument at Stompneus Bay, as well as a nautical museum at Shelley Point, next to St. Helena Bay.

Current Cape St. Martin owner Corrie van Zyl and his family settled here in 1968. Before they got involved in the fishing industry, the family were dairy farmers. They built a crayfish factory and a perlemoen farm that they later sold. The Van Zyls decided to develop 23 hectares of their land into a private nature reserve. Approval for their application was given in 2004.
The name Cape St. Martin springs from the lighthouse situated on the peninsula where the development is situated.
Next to the original homestead they built a restaurant, the Sea Trader, named after a cargo ship that ran aground at the most western point of Britannia Bay on 3 June 1971.
The relaxed West Coast living has given the Van Zyl family so much joy that they felt they should share it with more people.